Continuing Medical Education

The unsuspected killer: Liquefied petroleum gas overexposure in South Africa

L Sampson, N van der Schyff, C Cupido

Abstract


A 21-year-old woman with no past medical history of note was found unconscious together with five of her family members after prolonged exposure to liquefied petroleum gas. She was admitted to the intensive care unit at Victoria Hospital, Wynberg, Cape Town, South Africa, following resuscitation for pulseless electrical activity. On examination the following was found: coma without focal neurology; shock requiring fluid resuscitation and adrenaline; probable pneumonitis or aspiration pneumonia; acute rhabdomyolysis with severe metabolic acidosis; and raised serum K+. A carboxyhaemoglobin test was unable to confirm or exclude carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

 


Authors' affiliations

L Sampson, Sixth-year medical student, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, South Africa

N van der Schyff, Department of Internal Medicine, Victoria Hospital, Wynberg, Cape Town, South Africa

C Cupido, Department of Internal Medicine, Victoria Hospital, Wynberg, Cape Town, South Africa

Full Text

PDF (59KB)

Keywords

Liquefied petroleum gas

Cite this article

South African Medical Journal 2015;105(2):152. DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.9267

Article History

Date submitted: 2014-12-08
Date published: 2014-12-14

Article Views

Abstract views: 1423
Full text views: 620

Comments on this article

*Read our policy for posting comments here