Continuing Medical Education
Outpatient management of adult alcoholism
- Adult alcoholism is a significant problem both locally and in many areas abroad.
- The effective treatment by HCPs of established alcoholism requires a comprehensive biopsychosocial approach.
- Proper clinical screening of all patients for alcoholism is essential.
- Issues of safety must always be considered in all patients.
- Inpatient treatment may be mandatory for medical or psychiatric reasons.
- Outpatient medical treatments include detoxification, vitamin supplementation and relapse prevention.
- Psychosocial interventions are aimed at the patient and associates wherever possible.
M F Williams, Department of Mental Health and Psychiatry, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Full TextPDF (156KB)
Cite this article
Date published: 2013-11-19
Full text views: 1069